DESCRIPTION OF THE BOARD MEMBERSHIP SELECTION PROCESS
Educator Standards Board
The act establishes an Educator Standards Board comprised of 21 members for the purpose of developing and recommending standards for teachers and principals to the State Board of Education. The members are to be appointed by the State Board within 60 days of the act's effective date as follows:
(1) Ten teachers employed in a school district: three teachers in a secondary school, two teachers in a middle school, three teachers in an elementary school, one teacher in a pre-kindergarten classroom, and one teacher who serves on a local professional development committee. At least one of these eight teachers must be certified by the National Board for Professional Teaching Standards. The Ohio Education Association must submit fourteen nominees for these appointments, from which the State Board is to select seven members. The Ohio Federation of Teachers must submit six nominees, from which the State Board is to select two members. If there is an insufficient number of nominees from both organizations to meet the statutory membership requirements, the State Board must request additional nominees with the required credentials.
(2) One teacher employed by a chartered, nonpublic school. The State Board is responsible for selecting stakeholder groups to submit a list of two nominees for this appointment.
(3) Five public school administrators: a secondary school principal and a middle school principal nominated by the Ohio Association of Secondary School Administrators, an elementary school principal nominated by the Ohio Association of Elementary School Administrators, a school district superintendent nominated by the Buckeye Association of School Administrators, and a school treasurer or business manager nominated by the Ohio Association of School Business Officials. Each organization must submit two nominees for each appointment.
(4) One person who is a member of a school district board of education. The Ohio School Boards Association must submit a list of two nominees for this appointment.
(5) One person, who is a parent, nominated by the Ohio Parent Teacher Association
(6) (6) The Chancellor of the Ohio Board of Regents shall appoint three persons who are employed by institutions of higher education that offer approved teacher preparation programs: one who is employed by a private, non-profit Ohio college or university; one who is employed by a state university or university branch; and one who is employed by a state community college, community college, or technical college. Of the two members from four-year institutions of higher education, one must be employed in a college of education and one must be employed in a college of arts and sciences.
(7) The Superintendent of Public Instruction or the Superintendent's designee, as a nonvoting, ex officio member;
(8) The Chancellor of the Ohio Board of Regents or the Chancellor's designee, as a nonvoting, ex officio member; and
(9) The chairpersons, and the ranking minority members of the education committees of the House and Senate, as nonvoting, ex officio members. All terms after the initial terms are two-year terms, and the terms are renewable. Members receive no compensation for their services.
The Educator Standards Board must establish guidelines for its operation, which must permit the creation of standing subcommittees. The Educator Standards Board may appoint representatives of stakeholder groups to participate in subcommittee deliberations as nonvoting members.